Planting garlic seems to have become our Halloween weekend ritual. And, what a lovely day it was for being outside at the farm. Although garlic offered a nice complement to our market (scapes in June and garlic throughout the latter half of the season), we have scaled back our production a bit this year. Partly because our record keeping was terrible and we just have no idea what most of the garlic even is and we didn’t order any seed garlic this year at all. We are planting a variety of mystery garlic and Music (we are confident on that variety at least). Today I planted one raised bed, which is about 200 cloves of garlic. This includes 1.75 lbs of Music and 1.5 lbs of the mystery garlic. Here are some pictures of the steps involved.
The raised bed has a combination of topsoil, compost and sand. I turned it over with a broadfork and mixed in additional compost before planting. Although it has been extremely wet, I was pleasantly surprised by all the worms in the bed….definitely a good sign!
This is the same template we have been using for the past 2 years. Here’s how we made it.
Each garlic clove will turn into a bulb of garlic. We stored our largest bulbs for seed and then broke apart the cloves the night before planting.