it’s kind of a saturday / sunday morning tradition around the bickle house to make waffles or pancakes. we have been honing this recipe for a few years now, so here it is:
Best Waffles Ever (serves 2 people … maybe like 2 1/2, if that’s possible as your house)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup vanilla yogurt
- 1/2 cup soy milk
- 2 eggs (separated)
- melt the butter and set aside to cool.
- in the mixer bowl sift the flour baking soda, salt and sugar
- on the lowest mixer speed, stir in the yogurt, milk and egg yolks
- add the melted butter
- with the mixer at medium speed beat until just combined
- in another bowl whip the egg whites until super fluffy
- fold in the egg whites
- to make pancakes heat griddle, butter griddle for each pancake, spoon batter on griddle, when pancake has bubble all over the top, flip and brown the other side.
- waffles … each iron is different, so consult the manufacturer recommended procedures. (personally we have a Krups waffle iron, and it kind of stinks, difficult to clean, completely unintuitive lights, no indicator the waffle is done, but it’s what we have and it does work, we use a 1 cup measure to fill 2 waffles and cook for 2:45 minutes)
we suggest maple syrup from vermont as a topping, but you can get creative and use maple syrup from some place like ohio or even new york.
totally enjoy the rest of your day because you have started it right with a good solid breakfast.